Tuesday, January 24, 2017

AOD 1/18/17


DeVo's Remarks

        I was astonished as I read this article on Betsy DeVo’s hearing. As I was reading there was much of the school policies I did not know or did not understand. Yet as I researched a bit more and looked at DeVo’s responses I was very interested. After I read the article, I came off with the impression that it seemed DeVo lacked in her experience in education or in a classroom period. This surprised me as she is now a hand picked woman for the education secretary. It seemed  that most questions that were asked DeVo avoided or she simply did not know what to say. At times, I wonder if she was told what to say. She also avoided many questions that attacked her accountability in controlling and helping schools. DeVo also stated that she believed the free market should govern schools. DeVo also stated she believes in certain situations we should have guns in schools which I do not agree with. I do agree though that in order to make schools better we should have more local control, and seek insights from teachers, and students. It did concern me though that when talking about taking away money from public education she refrained from answering. DeVo did stumble and unfortunately I was not as impressed with her as I would’ve liked to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment