Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The N word (Death Sentence)



“Death Sentences”


        
For the longest time, I could not think of why this AOD was titled death sentences. Yet now I realize that it refers to sentences in a literal form and how our language can really impact others. As I brainstormed these irresponsible phrases, the one that I could most think of was stereotypes used today in race. Today racial slurs are thrown around as they are normal ways of describing others. Specifically the word I am referring to is the N word. This word is used now in every day talk and used in many songs we hear. Everyone no matter what is exposed to this word in our society today. Every time I hear these words, I do not feel they are appropriate even if they are not used against me. They are often rude and have a naturally negative connotation. The most  I was on twitter today and saw a quote: “Racism isn’t something people are born with, racism is taught.” I thought this was an interesting quote. The picture underneath then showed a picture of a white girl and an African American girl, next to the woman who was white it said beautiful, then next to the woman who was African American, it said ugly. This quote and picture really helped me to see that others often use these terms because they grew up hearing these slang words. This is unfortunate and makes me question on how we can truly stop others from using these words against any race. I also saw a quote that read, “Racism, Ignore it…and it won’t go away.” This was also an interesting quote. Personally, I am passionate about this because I believe everyone should be treated equally and talked about with respect. I believe that every human being deserves this respect for being who they are.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the quote you added "Racism, Ignore it...and it won't go away." Racism definitely is one of the big elephants in the room in America. Like you said, it will continue to be an elephant if it is not addressed. You can;t leave it sitting in the corner. Nothing gets done that way, some things need to be addressed head on. This was demonstrated in the Civil Right's movement itself. African-Americans would have never gained equal rights if they didn't stand up and say enough is enough. The same idea goes for equal treatment, we must all stand together and look forward to better days.

    ReplyDelete