Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Topic of Interest


Topic of Interest

As I was on the phone the other day with my best friend, who is currently in California, we began talking about immigration and letting others into our country. My best friend Cassidy, is studying at PLNU to become a journalist. She described to me her want to be a journalist for important and hard hitting news stories about real problems we face, such as women's rights, immigration and so forth. As I talked with her about her week in California she described to me that she was able to make a trip to the San Yisdo Port of Entry. She was able to actually be on both sides of the border and was able to stay in Mexico for 2 days and see what there was to offer. She described walking in with "me, my journal and a change of clothes." She took this trip on her own and was able to spend a day with deportees, from those who tried to cross the border. Although this is not exactly refugees, when I mentioned my paper again she told me that in fact there were many who's only longed to live in America. Many were very poor, and sought to go to America, to find a job and support their families. I believe there were many parallels to refugees in this case where many come from poor and small means and because of persecution want to come to America, and all we must do is let them in. As I talked more with her it made me again realize just how relevant this issue is in our society and how much we actually can see when we open our eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment