Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Topic of Interest


Topic of Interest

I feel this week as if my whole life revolves around multicultural issues and topics. In one of my other classes, I was just asked to pick a book for reading club and I chose a book titled, Esperanza Rising.  You know that feeling when you buy something new and suddenly see it everywhere? This is how I now feel about learning about refugees. I seemed to dive into the topic and now I see signs or clubs or organizations everywhere trying to create solutions or see myself constantly being surrounded by multicultural everything. In this new book I am reading a young girl by the name of Esperanza, lives in Mexico and is very wealthy. One night she comes home, and finds that her father has been killed by bandits while on a hunting trip. As soon as this happens, her uncle decides that he would like to take the land, yet to do this he must marry Esperanza's mother. Long story short, Esperanza's mother does not accept his hand in marriage and her uncle becomes very angry. So angry that he threatens their whole family and burns all of their belongings. The family then must flee their country and comes to the United States for work. It is interesting to see that even though this is a fiction story it is actually very similar to many real world stories, I have read. One thing the story mainly focuses on is the families transition into the U.S. The family barely knows English and is sent by the government to pick cotton in camps, where they are very little. I  try to picture how this would be and can't wrap my head around it. Although many families are like this, and many take on these types of jobs just to be safe and have a little income. Refugees continue to amaze me!

No comments:

Post a Comment